Friday, September 28, 2007

'The Office' 4.1 - Rabid fanbase

Hey, Jim and Pam are together! That should make the "JAM" "'shippers" happy. Though now, thanks to the wisdom of Kevin Malone, we've got a much better Pam and Jim portmanteau - PB&J.

Compared to previous "Office" season premieres, "The Dundies" and "Gay Witch Hunt," this was pretty weaksauce. Now, I thought it was very, very, good, but it just felt a little too silly and over the top at times, I guess - a giant check made out to "science" is funny, sure, but a little out of tone for The Office. Same with Andy taping up his nipples (I am one of the biggest Andy fans around, but that was not his shining moment). That compounded with Pam walking in on naked Michael and yet another motivational speech from Pam to Michael, it all just started to feel a little tiresome.

It's weird - I liked all the supersized and hourlongs in the past, and I always heard people say that they were too long or dragged or whatever. I was like "no way! More of something I like!" But last night I felt they might have a point.

Obviously there were plenty of great moments - all the Dwangela stuff, anything Kevin did, the clever references to the camera, some great wordplay like "a little stitious" and the Jeopardy thing - but it felt, to me, liked it lacked a certain something that makes The Office not just extremely funny, but also one of the best shows on TV.

There has to be something more to Jim and Pam, too. I'm completely confident that the writers wouldn't finally get them together just to have them act exactly like they did in season one and two, other than occasionally being caught holding hands. Unless that's the idea, I guess.

It's relative subparness was compounded by airing on the same night as an exception "My Name Is Earl" series premiere ("If you ask me, the Civil War never ended, we're just at halftime) and two awesome "IASIP"s (Judy Greer is the queen of clever sitcom cameos).

No comments: