Monday, September 18, 2006

Could I BE any more running a late night sketch comedy show?

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," for me, succeeded in a lot of the "The West Wing" never did. Mainly because I don't really care about politics yet really like TV (which is why I liked "Sports Night" more - although it only being a half hour might have had something to do with it), so I was able to be a lot more interested (I didn't fall asleep once, a new record for a Sorkin show, I think). Plus, you know, Chandler.

You knew Judd Hirsch (I still call him "Dear John") was toast as soon as he showed up, what with still being Papa "Numb3rs" and all. It's funny that in the very first scene of an Aaron Sorkin Drama (TM) he has a character deliver the exact kind of self-indulgent monologue that he's been mocked for.

Overall, good stuff, even if Bradley Whitford seems terribly miscast as a hip, edgy comedy genius/recovering drug addict. I'm not totally sold on how interesting it'll be to watch on a week-to-week basis, as the first episode plays out like the first 42 minutes of a movie.

No comments: