Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Other news

- Here's a funny addendum to Monday's "How I Met Your Mother," where we got to see Barney's awesome apartment for the first time. Although confusing a Clonetrooper for a Stormtrooper lost them some points in my book for sure.

- If you dug last week's "Veronica Mars," peep this video about the 1971 "Stanford Prison Experiment," which was the inspiration for last week's eppy. For those looking for videos of the band Stanford Prison Experiment, you might want to try www.marginalmid90sbandsthatiactuallydontrememebratalloutsideofthename.com. Oh, it's (not) real.

- "They"'re making a "Transformers" movie, don't you know, and the producers are holding an online contest for fans to write a line of dialogue for Optimus Prime to say during the movie, taking a much more direct path than "Snakes on a Plane" or the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" line in "X-Men: The Last Stand" as far as "letting Internet geeks write our movie" goes. Asking for trouble. Here are some of the actual contenders:

"Do a barrel roll!" - Dustin, Baltimore, MD

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!" - Bill, Ottawa, IL (but popularized by George Costanza, New York, NY)

"Alpha Trion said there'd be days like this." - Jason, Methuen, MA

I guess that last one's supposed to be...serious? Seems like a waste. In other news, this is the first result on a Google image search for "Optimus Prime."

- Although I might be harsh at times on "Studio 60," I'm no Pia Guerra, co-creator of awesome comic book "Y: The Last Man" (if you ask me nicely, I'll let you borrow my copies). Here's what she opined on fellow comic book creator Brian Michael Bendis' message board:
I gave it two episodes and I'm done. Last night's show was painful. Just painful. If the characters have to wave their arms saying "WE'RE IMPORTANT! WE'RE FUNNY! WE'RE REVOLUTIONARY" then chances are they aren't. The cell phone sketch wasn't funny, the executives fighting for relevant television was laughable, and everyone falling over themselves over Sting made me gag. And I'm a fan of Sting... before he got all sappy and shitty anyway but all the yoga loving socio-progressives haven't noticed that yet I guess.

I was moaning during Lahti's loathesome speech about the right and left coming together once a week in Perry's relationship (pleeeeze!) and then I was screaming at the tv when his character says he picked that song just for her! Holy crap! Can you make yourself look any more loser-ish with such crappy dialogue!?

I'm sorry but has anyone seen any of the zillion documentaries out there about SNL? Those guys don't sit around wondering aloud how their humour will change society! They're just writing gags! Their primary concerns are A) get a laugh out of their bit, B) hope to god their piece of airtime doesn't get cut after the rehearsal show, and C) stick around long enough to get a sweet movie deal so they can get out of that hellhole.

Oh but this is studio 60! It's an ideal show, just like Chicago Hope was the ideal hospital and the West Wing was the ideal White House Administration. Problem with ideals is that it turns into a wank fest. "Oh look how enlightened we are, this is how things SHOULD be run. Sting and tolerance and integrity all around!" And then it becomes complete fantasy.

I don't believe any of these people or situations and that's why I too am dropping it.

No comments: